Tanger Med confirms its position within the world’s top 50 container ports worldwide in the latest «World Top Container Ports» ranking which has just been published by «Container Management» magazine. As a reminder, there are about 500 container ports around the world.
Tanger Med 1 port, with a capacity of 3 million TEU containers, handled 3,312,409 TEU containers in 2017, which represents 11% more than its nominal capacity. This performance allowed the port to win 6 additional places in 2017, thus moving to 45th position in the international ranking.
At the African level, Tanger Med positions itself as the leading container port on the continent, followed by Port Said in Egypt at the 52nd rank with 2,989,897 TEUs handled, then followed by Durban in South Africa at 65th rank with 2,699,978 TEUs handled. The only other African ports included in this global ranking are the ports of Lagos in Nigeria (1,500,000 TEU) and Mombasa in Kenya (1,189,000 TEU).
This performance results from the strong involvement and synergy of all Tanger Med partners, and in particular:
· The excellent productivity of the APMT, Eurogate and Boluda operators
· The continued trust of the main shipping lines (Maersk Line, Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM, Arkas, Hamburg Sud…)
· The involvment of the Harbor Master’s and Port Pilot’s staff to optimise stopovers
· The involvement of the Administrations and Authorities concerned
· The digitalisation initiated by Tanger Med particularly for the reservation of slots designed to optimize ships calls
The upcoming opening of the Tanger Med 2 port in 2019, which will add an additional handling capacity of 6 million TEU containers, will bring Tanger Med port complex handling capacity to 9 million TEU containers.
This perspective will allow Tanger Med to rank among the top 20 container ports at the international level, which will further strengthen its position as the platform for Moroccan exports, and as a reference hub for global logistics flows and Global Trade.